1. Home
  2. Education
  3. Frequently Asked Questions

Program FAQ

What courses does the PEPP offer?

Since enrollment in October 2018, only the Course in Economic Policy has been offered.

For detailed information, including curriculum, check

Is there a PhD program in PEPP?

No, there is not. If you would like to search PhD programs in University of Tsukuba, please check the University website:


Where can I obtain information of PEPP?

The latest leaflet about the PEPP, providing an overview of the Program features, such as curriculum, scholarship, admission, can be found in the main page of this website . You will find more detailed information browsing this website. You will be able to meet faculty members and current scholars, and know more about alumni at the “People” page. In addition, you can be a part of our members by clicking “LIKE” on our Facebook page and get more timely information about special seminars, seasons of Tsukuba, admission etc.

Is PEPP different from PEPPM, Program in Economic and Public Policy Management?

PEPP is a successor to the PEPPM, Program in Economic and Public Policy Management. To keep being more competitive and attractive in this changing world, the PEPPM and Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences made some essential changes on the program while maintaining most of other parts such as funding, curriculum etc.

Main changes:

  • Program Duration
    For the past twenty years, PEPPM and former programs have run the program within the time frame of two years. New PEPP will be an 18-month long Master’s program, making it easier for employed people to participate in the Program.
  • Frequency
    Changing the frequency of the enrollment from once every two years to every year.
Do you offer scholarships?

Applicants admitted to the PEPP are eligible for scholarships provided by the Joint Japan/ World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) of the World Bank and/or the ADB-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) provided that they meet the specific requirements of each program as described below.

  • The scholarships’ benefits cover:
    - Economy class travel between the home country and Tsukuba with travel allowance set by donors
    - Exam fee, entrance fee, tuition and other program fees
    - Monthly stipend
    - Medical insurance cost
  • Other costs not covered by scholarship such as
    - Additional travel cost
    - Other cost related to research, participation in workshop, seminars etc.

For more information, please check websites of donors.



Can I bring my family if I am accepted by the PEPP?

Yes, but PEPP does not approve Scholars to bring families in the first four months as they are not used to the new environment and load of coursework. Also, PEPP Office does not assist arrangement of Visa or accommodation for Scholars’ family members.

Admission FAQ

What is the application deadline?

You should complete the entire process through Online Application System (OAS) by “23:59 on 28 February 2019 (JST)”.

How do I apply to the PEPP?

All application procedures must be done through OAS and consist of simple steps.

You need to complete three main tasks on the OAS, namely;

  • 1) to fill “Application Form” composed of personal information, professional background, educational background, personal statement and research plan;
  • 2) to prepare and upload required documents; and
  • 3) to arrange three to four letters of recommendation.

You may find more detailed information in the Application Instruction document:

Only after successfully passing the first screening you will be required to send original documents or certified copies of the originals by regular mail. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of the application. Follow given instruction once you are advised to do so.

What kind of documents should I prepare?

(1) Transcript(s)
(2) Diploma(s)
(3) Certificate(s) of Higher Education, if any
(4) Curriculum Vitae
(5) TOEFL Score or Equivalent proof of English proficiency:
(6) GRE Score or Equivalent proof of skills
(7) Medical Certificate *:
(8) Photograph (40 mm×30 mm)
(9) Optional: Certificate of Research Activities, if any *
(10)Optional: Publications, if any but graduation thesis is not included.
(11)Three to four letters of Recommendation
(12)JJ/WBGSP applicant only : Statement of Eligibility
(13)ADB-JSP applicant only: ADB-JSP Information Sheet
(14)ADB-JSP applicant only: your Income Certificate
(15)ADB-JSP applicant only: Your Family’s Income Certificate

Should I have any particular Bachelor degree?

We do not require any particular degree to apply to the Program,although, of course, you are expected to show strength in your chosen major on the application materials as this is an important part of the selection process.

Am I eligible to apply for the Program with three-year Bachelor’s Degree?

In accordance with the university admissions guidelines, applicants are expected to hold a four-year Bachelor’s Degree and to have completed 16 years of school education (up to undergraduate level). Those applicants having completed their university education in countries where formal schooling lasts less than 16 years, who are at least 22 years old, and who have spent at least one year in a research or similar institution, can become qualified to apply by filling out and submitting the provided form (Certificate of Research Activities).

I was educated in English, which is the official language in my country. Am I still required to submit the document which certifies my English ability?

Yes, it should be. Regardless of the language which applicants have been educated in, we need to have documents certifying your English proficiency as one of prerequisites. If you do not have score of standardized test such as TOEFL, IELTS or TOEIC, equivalent proof of skills such as a certificate by a relevant institution, or certification by a current or former professor of the candidate may be acceptable.

I do not have score of TOEFL, IELTS or/and TOEIC exam. Can I still apply?

If taking standardized exams proves unfeasible, equivalent proof skills may be acceptable such as a certificate by a relevant institution, or certification by a current or former professor of the candidate. In this case, the Program will judge on the suitability of these materials and may request further documentation.

I do not have score of GRE exam. Can I still apply?

If taking standardized exams proves unfeasible, equivalent proof skills may be acceptable such as a certificate by a relevant institution, or certification by a current or former professor of the candidate. In this case, the Program will judge on the suitability of these materials and may request further documentation.

OAS Technical FAQ

I registered basic information but I still cannot login.

After the registration, you should complete your registration process per the instructions of the e-mail sent to your account. Check inbox of your registered e-mail as well as spam and trash boxes.

Input information disappeared! What happened to my information?

Every time you move to another page on OAS or logout, you should click “SAVE” button to save input information; otherwise filled information would disappear.

I cannot upload files properly.

Possible reasons follow:

  • The file format: OAS accepts only jpg, docx/doc, pdf and zip. If your document consists of multiple files, they must be first packaged into a single zip file (extension: .zip), then uploaded like other files.
  • Network speed: Although we have checked that uploads were successful in a poor network environment such as a dial-up connection in a rural area, you should try to size down the files and be patient.

Also you need to check for error messages displayed on the screen*. Also if possible, using a different PC can sometimes help this situation because of unknown issues specific to the PC you have been using.

* If you can't figure out what it means, report us by email about which file upload failed as well as the error message displayed.




Voices from Current Scholars